Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Taking the plunge


I may have done the most ridiculous thing a person can do in today's fragile economy - I quit my job. For a long time now, I have been debating internally about how I feel about the job I am currently working. My boss is a crook, and that is a known fact. There is no upward mobility at my job, I make the most money possible. I work in a basement with mice and mold. I take orders from my boss' particularly hostile personal assistant (who didn't even graduate high school). I wonder to myself how I got here, and why I am still here. Oh right, because I haven't found another job.

So I said FUCK IT. I decided that I deserve more, and I can no longer subject myself to an unhealthy and hostile work environment. I am actively seeking a new job, and I am scared sick that it will not be as easy as it has been in past years to find one. I have some time before new income becomes necessary (thank you savings account) But at the same time, I am so excited to be freed from this building, this business, this boss, this bullshit!!! Three years is a long time to dump into a dump like this.

Maybe I will get another office job. Maybe I will work in retail. Maybe I will work for myself and free-lance writer or sell fucking Avon. Maybe I will get an internship and just be a broke college student. It doesn't matter to me. My number one priority is my future career as an American Literature professor. That's what matters. That's what matters. That's what matters (repetition is for my sake)

No comments:

Post a Comment